If your FireStick remote is not working, this post will try to provide possible solutions. Please read until the end. You may find the fix you’re looking for.
Over the past year, I’ve encountered several issues with my FireStick TV remote. Some are small, others are large. In one case, Amazon shipped a replacement device.
Last month, I prepared myself for the weekend with a bowl of popcorn and an endless supply of drinks. The intention was to enjoy new docuseries. Unfortunately, things quickly deteriorated. My FireStick remote refused to work and left me in the lurch.
The first thing I did was remove the battery and put it back. Nothing happened. I went through many troubleshooting steps and finally solved the problem. It could be anything from a flat battery to a damaged FireStick remote. In the next section, I will explain the possible causes and solutions to FireStick remote issues.
Attention FireStick users: Read before continuing
Your government and ISP are likely to monitor your streaming activities using… Your IP address 3,17,249,235 (open to everyone). You may face serious legal trouble for streaming copyrighted videos on FireStick.
I highly recommend getting it Reliable VPN for FireStick To hide your IP address and protect your identity online.
I use ExpressVPN On all my devices because it is the most secure, fastest, and easy to use VPN. It comes with an unconditional 30-day money-back guarantee, and You get 3 months free With the annual plan
Don’t miss out on peace of mind and online security ExpressVPN He provides.
is reading: How to install and set up the best VPN on FireStick.
9 Ways to Fix FireStick Remote Not Working
Your FireStick remote may stop working due to a hardware or software glitch. Fortunately, you can solve most problems in a short time. Let’s take a look at the common FireStick remote issues and their corresponding fixes.
1. Make sure the FireStick Remote is paired
The FireStick Remote pairs with the stick via IR or CEC. Each device is paired with a specific remote control. Pairing occurs during or after setting up your FireStick for the first time Factory settings.
However, the remote may be automatically unpaired. Furthermore, the latest generation of FireStick remotes uses WiFi. Hence, it is necessary to check your internet connection.
Pairing the FireStick remote when you get a replacement is also essential. Fortunately, the pairing process is simple. Here’s how it’s done:
- Make sure the FireStick is connected to your TV’s HDMI port.
- Turn on your Firestick and your TV.
- The Fire TV boot screen will appear. While this is happening, hold down house button on the remote control for 10 seconds.
- Ideally, the remote should be paired with the FireStick. If it doesn’t, try holding the button house Button for longer duration (20 seconds).
2. Check if your FireStick is not paired with more than 7 devices
It’s a common misconception that a FireStick can only be paired with one remote. The fact is that it supports up to seven Bluetooth devices, including gaming consoles and wireless earbuds.
Check if FireStick is connected to more than seven Bluetooth devices. If yes, the new device will not pair. Follow the steps below to unpair other devices.
1. Opens Settings From the FireStick home page. It’s located in the top menu bar.
2. Select the Remotes and Bluetooth devices option on the current screen.
3. FireStick will display a list of connected devices. Select the device you want to unpair and follow the instructions.
I have realized that the pairing process is inconsistent with FireStick. In some cases, it may take 2-3 attempts. Try pairing your FireStick remote several times by following the steps above. Let’s take a look at some other fixes.
3. Check the FireStick remote batteries
For decades, if there’s one thing that hasn’t changed, it’s remote batteries. Even today, remote controls are powered by batteries, and the FireStick is no different.
If something happens to the battery, your FireStick remote will stop working. I’ve noticed that FireStick notifies me of low batteries remotely via on-screen notifications. However, it does not always work.
Sometimes, a leaking battery or corrosion of the contacts can cause problems. It’s difficult to diagnose a bad battery, especially since remote batteries last for months together. Pat the back of the remote on the sofa until it starts working. However, this is only a temporary solution.
Here are some ways you can check your FireStick batteries:
- Remove the batteries and put them back. Press gently to make sure it is installed correctly.
- Battery polarity is critical. Remove the battery. You will find a sticker showing the correct direction. Make sure you follow him.
- Sometimes, we tend to mix old batteries with newer ones. In such cases, the remote control may work for a few days. But it will stop working due to weak batteries. Always replace remote batteries in pairs, and use alkaline batteries if possible.
- Keep a spare battery handy. Replace it and check if it works. If not, change the battery.
- Clean the battery contacts. Recently, I noticed that mine has eroded. Maybe this is because I live near the sea. It can also be caused by a leaking battery. Spray WD-40 on a dry cloth and clean the battery contacts.
Is your FireStick remote not working after changing the battery? Proceed to the next steps
4. Reset your fire tv remote control
It’s not very fun when your FireStick remote stops working. Mostly, this is caused by pairing issues. I assume you have tried the first step of this article. Yes, the one where you hold down the home button.
If that doesn’t work, the steps below should help:
- Unplug the FireStick from the power source. Make sure it is turned off completely.
- Press the following buttons together for at least 12 seconds – Leave button, menu Button, Rhe behind button.
NB: Click on Leave And menu The buttons on the first generation Alexa voice remote.
- Release the buttons and wait for approximately 5 seconds.
- Open the cover of the FireStick remote and take out the batteries.
- Plug the adapter back into the FireStick. Turn it on and wait until the main screen appears with a message that the remote cannot be detected.
- Insert the remote batteries.
- Click on house Button to pair your remote.
NB: Hold the house button for 10 seconds if the remote is not paired.
there he is! Your FireStick remote should start working.
5. Check remote compatibility
Different generation FireStick devices come with a unique remote control model. Some are backward compatible, others are not. This is especially true if you purchase a new remote control. Make sure it is compatible.
Interestingly, Amazon also supports third-party remote controls and game controllers. Designed specifically with FireStick in mind. However, stay away from cheap replicas. It does more harm than good in the long run.
Take a look at this Amazon Fire TV support page. You’ll see FireStick devices with their compatible remotes.
6. Check FireStick Remote for damage
The FireStick Remote uses a large number of sensors and processors. Components tend to stop working when the remote hits a hard surface. Remote controls, on the other hand, often take daily abuse.
I suggest keeping your FireStick remote in a designated place. Furthermore, FireStick cases protect your remote from shocks up to three metres.
Replacing a FireStick remotely can cost approximately half the price of the device. I suggest you use a silicone case and save yourself some money. If the remote control is already damaged, it’s bad luck. It is not repairable, and you will have to buy a replacement.
7. Start over by factory resetting your FireStick
Have you tried all the steps, but nothing seems to work? Don’t lose hope yet. Sometimes, pairing issues or software errors can cause issues with your FireStick remote. Most often, it is not possible to identify these problems.
The best way forward is to Reset FireStick And prepare it fresh. Please do not restore a previous backup. The issue may make its way through the backup.
8. Use the Amazon Fire TV app as a remote replacement
Ready for the weekend, and your FireStick remote has given up on you? I’ve been there and done that. I have a secret that lets you use your FireStick without a remote. This method is suitable when the remote control does not work.
The Amazon Fire TV app is a simple remote app for FireStick. It is available on both iOS and Android. The app turns your smartphone into a FireStick remote. However, it is more of a temporary arrangement. On the bright side, you can continue your addictive session without worry.
It’s very frustrating when your FireStick remote doesn’t work. The fixes mentioned in the article should help you fix the issue using your FireStick remote. Typically, remote controls last for three years or more. Avoid dropping it on any hard surface, including the ground. Replacing or reinserting the batteries will usually help fix the remote. Do you have more tips to share? Let us know in the comments below.